Saturday, December 02, 2006

I have had an other day organising my work space as I want to have pens, papers, crayons, paint, anything that can make a mark ready for keeping a visual journal.

Sharon
http://inaminuteago.com/blog/index.php/archives/2006/12/01/visual-journals-a-link-round-up/

has been sharing on creativity and yesterday on visual journals, I think we all see the need for these to capture our ideas. I for one never think I have any ideas but that is because they come and I promptly forget them, if I was using a journal that would not happen. It is very interesting as I keep going back to what Sharon has been saying and mulling it over in my mind.
I think I have no ideas, therefore I am not creative but reading this post and some of the others I am starting to see that my thoughts are not entirely right. Sharon and others are talking about the process and that process involves discipline. What is discipline really!!!! It is exercise, exercising our creative muscles. What is journalling, nothing but exercising those muscles again.
What is the process? What are the things that hinders me?
Needing to get it right first time is a biggie!!
Not letting myself play and explore, or even letting myself play a bit and then hating what I have done and being very critical of it, instead of enjoying and learning the process. Why do I not like it. Is it because I think others won't like it or think it childish.?
Who cares, no-one but me.
Which brings me back to the topic, Visual journals and why I never stick with one. Am I trying to do things that others will approve of, instead of letting myself go and learn?
Somehow, I think that is a key!!!!. But is this my journey or someones elses? Its mine and the journals are not for anyone else to see. Its about my learning process and catching those ideas that are there.

1 comment:

sharonb said...

This is a great step and simply wonderful to see you take that internal critic on and squash it - you have made my day-
its great you have given yourself permission to exlore and learn - the application of a skill at a level you want it to be will come with time and effort -
your journey is the key not anyone elses or what anyone else thinks